You have no items in your basket!
Christmas is the busiest time of the year, from shopping for presents to going to the works do’. Just when you finally finish turning your home into Lapland and heading out the door to the children’s nativity, those dreaded unexpected guests turn up. So how are you going to find the time to keep a clean and organised home?
As always, we’re on hand with our top hacks, to help you keep your home in order over the holidays.
1. Boxes – Save a few medium and large boxes in the run-up to Christmas for the family to put their presents into as soon as they have been unwrapped. This will help keep everything together ready for them to put away or take home at the end of the day. Plus it’ll stop your front room from looking like Santa’s factory!
2. Take a snap – Ever got to the supermarket only to forget whether or not you already have dried sage in the cupboard? Don’t forget to take a picture of your fridge & cupboards (especially your spice rack) before you go food shopping, it will help to prevent multiple visits or one too many jars of mustard!
3. Baby its cold inside – To make room for all the Christmas goodies and New Years canapés, try to use up as much of the food in your freezer as possible throughout December. And don’t forget to give it a good defrost whilst it’s empty.
4. Wax off – If you’ve gone all traditional for your decorations this year, you may have one too many candles lit at once. Use blotting paper and a hair dryer to remove any spilt wax. Simply cover the wax with the paper and heat until all the wax has melted and soaked into the paper.
5. Windomatic Wonder – Our trusty Windomatic isn’t just for Windows! It’s great for cleaning up spilt drinks too. So make sure it’s kept handy for when you’re entertaining guests and a drink (inevitably) gets spilt on the table.
6. Just-in-case – Pick up a few ‘just-in-case gifts’, such as scented candles, wine and chocolates – perfect for those unexpected guests or any neighbours that pop round with a gift for the family.
7. Smells like Christmas – All that Christmas cooking can leave your home smelling foul – sprouts anyone? To mask unwanted odours, pre-make your own room spray full of cinnamon, orange, clove and other essential oils, and bottle up ready to spray the mess away!
8. Pine needles – Let’s face it, even non-drop trees still seem to shed a bucket full of needles over December. Instead of having to drag the vacuum out on a daily basis, try running a lint roller over the affected area. Or better still, set one of our robot vacuums to work – they definitely won’t get in the way of the Christmas telly.
9. DIY ornaments – Making gingerbread men for the kids? Turn them into ornaments for the tree with a few coats of clear varnish. They’ll last for years.
10. Christmas lifesaver – No time to cook in the run-up to the big day? Now’s the perfect time to bring the Crockpot out of hiding – just throw in your ingredients, turn it on and head out. When you get home you’ll have yourself a delicious meal, fit for a king (or Santa!).
11. Lights off – Christmas is over and it’s time to put your decorations away for another year. To keep your lights from getting tangled, store them on a hanger. Simply wrap around from left to right and store in a safe place.
12. Egg Cartons – Save up a few egg cartons over Christmas. They make the perfect storage solution for keeping ornaments safe until the next year.
What are your top Christmas hacks? We’d love to hear in the comments below.